English for academic purposes
If you successfully complete English for academic purposes, you will NOT need to take the IELTS test to demonstrate your proficiency in the English language, if you study a master’s, bachelor’s, diploma or certificate as long as you meet all other course requirements)
Academic English can be very different from the English you use every day. Even if you speak English well in conversation, it can be difficult to understand new words and structures used in college or another academic setting.
In this course, you will develop skills in academic proficiency and English literacy. It will be easier for you to understand and participate in your college course. If you successfully complete the academic English course, you will be able to use English in a variety of academic contexts and take responsibility for your progress with little support from teachers.
You will learn skills in four main areas:
Reading and listening
- note-taking strategies for lectures and tutorials
- analysis of the reading of text structures
- techniques for speed reading, skimming and scanning
Speaking and writing
- planning, writing and editing reports and essays
- effective communication in tutorials
- pronunciation and voice training for presentations and seminars
- active participation in group projects
- bibliographic and text references
- analysis of tertiary assessment tasks
- research skills
- student independence
- intercultural communication
Useful skills for working
- computer literacy and numeracy
- negotiate tactfully and persuade effectively
- Australian work culture
- digital and face-to-face networks.
General English courses generally have day and evening hours, and you could start studying on any Monday.
A simple test is done upon arrival so that College can make sure you are in the right class for your level, and then you can start learning right away.
su nivel, y luego poder comenzar a aprender de inmediato.