Graduate Temporary 485 Visa

Graduate Temporary 485 Visa

Many international students studying in Australia want to stay there for a long time and gain work experience. Fortunately, the land of kangaroos offers several job opportunities for students from all over the world.

The high demand for skilled labour in the country allows international students to apply for the post-study work visa, allowing them to stay in Australia for up to four years and work after completing their studies. In this post, you will get detailed information on post-study work visas in Australia, including the application process, eligibility requirements, visa fees, and visa processing time. Here is an overview of the different work visas available to international students after they complete their studies.

Terms and conditions of post-study work visas in Australia

The Australian Department of Home Affairs has established eligibility requirements for post-study work visas that must be met by international students. These requirements may vary, depending on the visa you apply for and the length of time you want to stay in Australia. Now, we will discuss the terms and conditions of the different types of post-study work visas.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

Subclass 485 of the Temporary Graduate Visa is for international students who wish to work, study and live temporarily in Australia. This type of visa can be classified into two streams: the postgraduate work branch and the post-study branch of work. Graduate workflow allows you to stay in Australia for up to 18 months. Whereas, through the post-study workflow, you can stay in Australia for approximately four years, depending on what qualification you have. Below are the 485 visa requirements for each flow.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) – Graduate Work Program

  • You must be a recent graduate with skills and qualifications relevant to the professions mentioned in the list of qualified occupations.
  • You must be under 50 years old.
  • You must meet the Australian studies requirements, that is, you must have a degree or diploma in a CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) registered course.
  • You must have a valid PTE, TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge C1 or OET to demonstrate your proficiency in the English language. You must have an Australian study visa and your study medium must be in English. Must not be a former holder of subclass 485 or subclass 476.
  • If your visa has been previously rejected or canceled, your application for Graduate Work Stream will not be considered. You must also meet the character and health requirements listed.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485):

  • You must have a graduate degree in a CRICOS registered course. You must be under 50 years old.
  • You must be a current holder of the student visa or you must have held it in the past (usually 6 months before applying for the temporary graduate visa).
  • You must study with an Australian education provider and hold any of the degrees: Bachelor’s, Bachelor’s (Honors), Master’s, Extended Master’s, Master’s (Research), and PhD.
  • You must not be a previous holder of the Subclass 476 visa or the 485 Australian visa. You must meet the Australian study requirements.
  • You must provide proof of your English language proficiency through exams such as PTE, IELTS, OET, TOEFL, or Cambridge C1 Advanced Test.
  • If you have a business qualification or a diploma, you cannot apply for this visa. You must also meet health requirements and have adequate health insurance.

Recognised Qualified Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)

The Recognised Qualified Graduate Visa is particularly available to engineering graduates.

It allows you to study, live, work and travel in Australia for a period of up to 18 months.

To be eligible for this type of visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have an engineering degree from a specific educational institution. You must be under 31 years old.
  • Must not be a previous holder of Subclass 485 or Subclass 476.
  • You need to prove your English language proficiency, but if you have a passport from countries like the United States, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the Republic of Ireland, you do not need to meet the 485 visa requirements in English. You must also meet the specified health and character requirements.

Important Documents Needed for Post-Study Work Visa In support of your visa application, you need the following documents:

  • Study documents
  • Identification documents
  • Character document 485 medical insurance visa documents
  • Partner documents (if you have it with you)
  • Documents of dependents over 18 years of age (if necessary) Documents of dependents under 18 years of age (if necessary)

How can international students stay longer in Australia?

Australian immigration is always ready to provide permanent visas to students who can contribute to the country’s economy. Skilled immigrants who want to work in Australia are assessed using a points-based method with points awarded for language proficiency, qualifications and work experience.

If you want to migrate to Australia to become a permanent resident (PR), you must first submit an EOI (Expression of Interest) through the SkillSelect process.

If your EOI is accepted, you can start filling out the application form for a permanent visa.

There are many permanent visas available, but the most popular for recent graduates are as follows: Qualified Independent Visa (Subclass 189) Qualified Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) Employer Nomination Plan (Subclass 186) To explore more permanent work visa options In Australia, you can visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs.



162 Macquarie Street Hobart, TAS 7000 Australia

 +61 413 857 919



1 Sussex street Barangaroo Sydney NSW 2000

+61 413 857 919


Carrera 4 # 12-59 Local 101 Neiva-Huila

+57 320 476 79 90